Sunday, April 15, 2007

Reflection on the Flash learning

It is kind of frustrated to learn the Flash. I have spent more than ten hours on watching the Map tutorial, hoping to learn how to copy the techniques used in it so that I could apply those techniques to work on the final project. However, there are problems rising up frequently. It doesn't seem as easy as what I first expected. There are several reasons why I can't finish the entire practice and make a copy of my own. First, a whole range of operations involved in working out one task need lot of practice and memorization. Second, the concepts of layers and formats (visual types) take me many hours to understand them. Third, it takes me hours to understand that the first frame of the movie should leave out images. Fourth, the action scripts are different in different versions of the Flash. The one I use at home is Flash Professional 8 while the version in the tutorial is Flash MX. I realize that I need to spend more time to understand more about Flash and use it as a tool to create movie. No short cut in true learning.

3 comments:

cck said...

Same as you, I would also want to apply the skill learnt in creating the interactive map in the group assignment. Though I was able to finish my version of the interactive map after the session, I am not sure whether I can remember how to operate by that time because many steps are involved and the version that Daniel demonstrated in the class was different from that in the video. As we have the flash tutorial, at least we can follow it from time to time.

Jaco

Ryan Yue said...

Hi,

Yes, I totally agree that it is quite difficult to learn flash at the very beginning. There are many new concept like layers, timeline, flame, fps...and so on, which is new and difficult for non-technical or even technical people to learn.

But most of these new concepts can be applied to many similiar software like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks...
So it may be worth to know that as it will be much easier for you to learn the other similar software in the future.

Ryan Yue

Tam Po Yee said...

Thank you, Jaco and Ryan. I eventually got that skills to work throuh the Map exercise. I think if the Map tutoiral also had the voice over to descarible the process of the creation of the interacice may, it would be easier to understand. Also, I must confess that I haven't learnt things from previous tutorials and involved techniques. It is also the major reason why I need to spend so much time on the Map exercise. The Map exercise is not look as simple as it looks like.